Thursday, July 9, 2015

We May Be a Thousand Miles Apart, But I'll Be With You Wherever You Are

What is the purpose behind parenting? As Michael Popkin mentioned that the purpose of parenting is, "To protect and prepare children to survive and thrive in the world in which they will live." This is a very important task, and a difficult on at that. After this week in class I've gained such a greater appreciation for my own parents. I have seen how hard they have worked for my family.

One of the main things that I have been reminded of this week was to parent your children with love. We live in a chaotic world today. We don't need more chaos in this world. As the Beetles said, "All you need is love." We shouldn't restrict our children from doing something just because we 'said so'. If you are going to say no, have a logical reason for it. In class we learned that the more that parents try to control their children, the less they will be able to influence them for good. We should give our children a choice in our decisions. This will show them that you are still the parent, but they still have some say in what is going on.

My appreciation for my own parents has grown so much, especially since I came to college. I know that they are always there for me. College isn't easy. Knowing that I can call them whenever I need is so comforting and I am extremely grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment